Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Using the RSS Feed



If you watch for new entries on this blog try using the RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feed option to keep you informed.

Since I do not update this blog as often as other bloggers who may have help, it would be more efficient for you to know when I make changes, so you can save time by checking the blog only when necessary.

What is really cool is that I can plop a very nice RSS feed display on my Yahoo Home Page. This is sweet. So now, every time I log in to my Home Page, I will know when I made a change to my blog.....hmmm, that is not useful. Ah...this may be more useful: I went to KPIX Channel 5 in San Francisco and grabbed the "local news". Now I can see what is happening in the Bay Area right on my home page....much better.

Browse around the Internet to see what web pages have the RSS symbol. Some TV news channels have it, some do not, some newspapers have it, the Tracy Press has it but it is a bit hard to find....look to the right hand side of the main page. I now have subscribed to "Local News".

Here is where the RSS feed symbol shows up on Firefox (my preferred browser).

You can click on the pictures to enlarge them....



And here is where it shows up in Internet Exploder.



Here is an example of the choices you may get when you click on this symbol. Since I have Yahoo for my home page, I selected Yahoo as my option.



The links take you to the blog or you can just read it here. Note: I cannot see the entire set of blogs from this page. If you want to check out all of my outstanding entries you will have to go to the Blog itself.

Here is what one of my home pages looks like with my TracyReaderDad Book Review blog embedded. Pretty cool.





Give it a try.....grab an RSS feed of this Blog!